Whether you are cooking a fun meal for your kids or a romantic date night with your partner, this hot pink beet gnocchi is perfect.
Hot Pink Beet Gnocchi
- Prep Time 30 min
- Cook Time 45 min
- Serves 4-6p
- Total Time 1hr 15min
- 3 small Chioggia Beets
- 2 large Russet Potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 3-3 1/2 cups flour, plus more for kneading (white or GF flour works!)
- 1 cup Parmesan, plus more for serving
- ⅓ cup Sage, chopped
- ⅓ cup Butter
- Salt & Pepper
To make the gnocchi dough:
- Step One: Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Step Two: Wash beets and potatoes, then wrap the beets in tin foil and pierce the potatoes with a fork. Bake both for ~40-45 minutes.
- Step Three: Allow both beets and potatoes to cool enough, then remove the skins from both. Set aside.
- Step Four: In a food processor or blender, combine beets, Parmesan, eggs, and 1 tsp of salt. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Step Five: Using a cheese grater, grate the potatoes into a bowl. Then, add the blended beet mixture and stir to combine.
- Step Six: Next, add in one cup of flour at a time, mixing with a wooden spoon, until you have a ball of dough. You don’t want it too sticky! 3-3.5 cups of flour should do.
- Step Seven: Turn the dough ball over onto a floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes, then cut it into 6 portions.
- Step Eight: Roll each individual portion out into a ½” thick rope and cut into ½” gnocchi pillows. The fresh-cut gnocchi can be placed on a piece of parchment paper while you roll and cut the remaining portions.
To make the gnocchi dish:
- Step 9: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a few big pinches of salt.
- Step 10: Boil the gnocchi in small batches, removing them from the water when they’ve been floating at the top for at least 30 seconds, and set aside.
- Step 11: In a pan over medium-high heat, melt ¼ the butter, then add ¼ of the freshly cut sage.
- Step 12: Once butter is frothing and bubbling, add in ¼ of the gnocchi and a pinch of salt, then stir to combine. Cook the gnocchi for 2-3 minutes on one side and turn over to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Place in a bowl, covered, and cook the remaining 3 portions of gnocchi.
- Step 13: Dish up into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese and freshly cracked pepper.
This recipe was created by RG Ambassador Kelsey Steeves. You can see more of her work here.