Wildly Delicious Episode 5: Veggie Pot Pie
Its cozy season and we're using fresh ingredients from our Rise Garden to make delicious, homemade veggie pot pie. On Episode 5 of our IG Live cooking show, Wildly Delicious, we were joined by RG Ambassador Kelsey Steeves to make our childhood favorite: vegetable pot pies. Veggie pot pie is actually pretty simple to make. It only requires chopping a bunch of veggies and herbs and then making the mixture and baking the savory pie! Plus, when you grow your own food with a Rise Garden, you get the freshest, best tasting ingredients that add extra flavor and depth to any recipe.
Veggie Pot Pie Recipe
Makes 2 pot pies
- Prep Time 30min
- Cook Time 40min
- Total Time 110m
- Serves 4p
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 bulbs of fennel or celery, finely chopped, about 4 cups
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary, minced
- 1 tbsp summer thyme
- 6 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed small, about 3 cups
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup broth
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 frozen pie shells/dough, thawed
- 1 egg, yolk only
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Step One: Heat oven to 400F.
- Step Two: Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large pot. Once melted, add the fennel or celery, carrots, onion, rosemary, and thyme. Cook until onions are translucent and the other vegetables are soft.
- Step Three: Add the mushrooms and potatoes and stir to mix. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 6-8 minutes, or until mushrooms have shrunken and potatoes have begun to soften.
- Step Four: Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir to coat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the flour no longer tastes raw.
- Step Five: Slowly add the milk and the broth, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
- Step Six: Next, add the peas, lemon juice, and more salt and pepper if needed. Stir to combine.
- Step Seven: Pour mixture into a 9” baking dish.
- Step Eight: Roll out pie dough and place over the vegetable mixture. Seal to the sides to prevent over spilling!
- Step Nine: Whisk egg yolk with a pinch of salt, and brush over top of the raw pie dough. Cut slits in the top to allow for air flow. Cover with aluminum.
- Step Ten: Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, covered. Remove aluminum and bake for another 20 minutes. Let it sit for a few minutes before serving to allow the pie to set, and enjoy!
- Step Eleven: Repeat Steps 7 + 8 in a freezer proof dish and put the second pot pie in the freezer for later!*
*From the freezer, let the pot pie partially thaw and then complete steps 9 + 10.
Recipe from: RG Ambassador Kelsey Steeves.